Alongside the local council elections this year we will also be selecting a Police and Crime Commissioner, this is an ineffective post that shouldn’t be political, it should be done by a Police Authority who represent the local community – the Liberal Democrats are not putting forward a candidate this year.
The role of the PCC includes a number of roles previously performed by the Police Authority.
- Appointing and dismissing chief constables
- Holding the chief constable to account for the police force performance
- Providing a strong link between the police and communities, which includes consulting local people, the council and others
- Overseeing community safety and the reduction of crime, and ensuring value for money
- Setting out a force’s strategy and policing priorities through the Police and Crime Plan
- Setting out the force budget and spending
This election four white middle aged men are standing for election;
Pete Durnell – UKIP
Andy Flynn – Independent
David Jamieson – Labour Party
Les Jones – Conservative Party
More information on the candidates can be found here PCC Candidate Profiles
In the previous elections the Liberal Democrats supported a Muslim local community campaigner from Aston. I thought that the Labour Party would have supported a local campaigner such as Yvonne Mosquito.
I will write a post on community involvement and diversity to follow on from this.